The IUBMB is engaged in a variety of activities. For details follow the links to the left, and above (for Publications):
- Every three years, the world’s biochemists come together at the IUBMB International Congress of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Travel awards and a special two-day pre-Congress program for young scientists, the Young Scientists Program (YSP), is a special feature attached to this event.
- Up to three IUBMB Focused Meetings take place each year. They enhance the visibility of IUBMB in regions of significant or major biochemical activity and present opportunities for review of advances in a limited number of topic areas.
- IUBMB sponsors Educational Workshops and Advanced Schools and holds or sponsors Symposia on Education at regional biochemical meetings around the world.
- The Wood-Whelan Research Fellowships provide short-term fellowships for younger biochemists to travel to other laboratories to undertake research that cannot be done in their own laboratories.
- Mid-Career Research Fellowships provide similar opportunities for more senior researchers.
- Reaching individual biochemists is also the purpose of another very important function of the IUBMB, that of publishing journals containing news, reviews, information, original research and also maps, animaps and nomenclature.
- At IUBMB Congresses several endowed Lectures feature prominently in the program and an IUBMB Plenary Lecture is delivered at each Congress of FASBMB, FAOBMB, PABMB and FEBS.
- The IUBMB Jubilee Lectures were established to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first International Congress of Biochemistry held in Cambridge, UK in 1949, at which steps were taken that led to the formation of IUB (IUBMB since 1991).
Since 2010, the Bio-Unions have been meeting among themselves to plan interdisciplinary activities, including:
1. a presence at each others’ Congresses,
2. the joint sponsorship of meetings, and
3. joint sponsorship of teaching activities.
The 11 Bio-Unions are:
IUIS (International Union of Immunological Societies): Faith Osier (President), Heidelberg University Medical School, Heidelberg, Germany (www.iuisonline.org) email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org