Guidelines for the Wood-Whelan Research Fellowships
The Wood-Whelan Research Fellowships are designed to support junior biochemists and molecular biologists, from countries that are full or associate members of IUBMB who need to travel to other laboratories in the IUBMB region for the purpose of carrying out experiments that require special techniques or for other forms of scientific collaboration or advanced training.
Conditions of Fellowships
The fellowships will be awarded for travel lasting 1 – 4 months. A fellowship is intended to cover travel and incidental costs, as well as living expenses, to a maximum of US $4,000. Travel costs will provide for the cheapest airfare available; incidental expenses directly related to the travel, local bus fares to and from airport; and a hotel charge for one night at airport if well substantiated. The costs do not cover insurance or research expenses at the laboratory to be visited. Travel should commence within four months of the award being made.
Applicants for fellowships are required to make a full declaration to IUBMB of all other support received in connection with the proposed visit. A fellowship cannot be used to supplement scientific visits otherwise fully covered. Fellowships will not be awarded to attend courses, symposia, meetings or congresses; those who wish to do so should apply for an IUBMB Travel Award. Applicants must be residents of countries that are members of IUBMB and should generally be graduate students or junior researchers within 10 years of receiving their PhD. Retrospective applications will not be considered. Applications from individuals who have received a Wood-Whelan Fellowship previously are not eligible.
The deadlines for receipt of applications are April 1st (for travel beginning in July – December the same year) and October 1st (for travel beginning in January – June the following year). Applicants are encouraged to apply at least one cycle in advance of their anticipated travel; earlier applications will be considered to allow for resubmissions. Late applications will not be considered.
No later than three months after the visit, a brief report should be sent detailing the length of stay, results achieved or expected, and any publication that may result. Acknowledgment of receipt of the Fellowship should be made in any publication(s) that arise(s) as a result of the visit.
Provide the following information in the IUBMB Wood-Whelan Research Fellowships.
- Details of the research proposal indicating clearly:
- the nature of the project and the type of experiments to be carried out;
- why it is necessary to travel to a particular laboratory to conduct the experiments rather than to perform them in the applicant’s own laboratory or simply to ship the materials;
- why the project will require the particular time period requested;
- documentation about the cost of the proposed travel and any incidental expenses. An estimate of the travel costs should be provided by a travel agent and be based on the costs of the cheapest flight available. The type of flight (e.g. apex, Super-Apex, student fare) should be stated.
- a comprehensive budget should be provided, indicating all other sources of support, whether awarded or applied for
- A short curriculum vitae of the applicant with a list of publications.
- A letter of acceptance from the head of the receiving institute countersigned by the leader of the group in which the applicant will work, stating that the institute will receive the applicant. A list of papers published by the group leader during the past five years should be provided. This letter should give an indication of the living expenses for the period if the Wood-Whelan fellowship is expected to provide funds towards these costs and should also indicate what the receiving institute’s contribution will be towards these costs.
- A letter of recommendation from the head of the department of the applicant’s institution indicating the reasons why the fellowship would be beneficial. This letter should also list all other fellowships previously received by the applicant, especially for travel abroad to attend meetings or to study at another institution.
Applications will be sent to the Chair of the Committee for Fellowships by filling out the application form and will be reviewed by the Members of the IUBMB Fellowships Committee.
*Please contact the Secretariat if you have any questions.