Guidelines for the IUBMB Mid-Career Research Fellowships
The Mid-Career Research Fellowships are designed to support junior biochemists and molecular biologists, from countries that are full or associate members of IUBMB who need to travel to other laboratories in the IUBMB region for the purpose of learning new state-of-the-art techniques or for other forms of scientific collaboration or advanced training.
Conditions of Fellowships
The Fellowships will be awarded for travel lasting 1 – 2 months. The fellowship is intended to cover travel and incidental costs, as well as living expenses, to a maximum of US$ 5,000. The following conditions shall apply:
- The Fellowship will cover the cheapest airfare available and reasonable accommodation costs.
- The Fellowship will not cover insurance or research expenses at the host laboratory.
- Applicants are required to make a full declaration to IUBMB of all other support received in connection with the proposed visit.
- A Fellowship cannot be used to supplement scientific visits otherwise already fully covered from other sources.
- Fellowships will not be awarded to attend courses, symposia, meetings or congresses.
- Applicants must be residents of countries that are members of the IUBMB.
- Applicants should hold a faculty position and be actively involved in the training of PhD students.
- Retrospective applications to fund an already completed visit will not be considered.
- Travel should commence within three months of the award being made.
The deadlines for receipt of applications are April 1st (for travel beginning in July – December the same year) and October 1st (for travel beginning in January – June the following year). Applicants are encouraged to apply at least one cycle in advance of their anticipated travel; earlier applications will be considered to allow for resubmissions. Late applications will not be considered.
A comprehensive report outlining the work done in the host institution should be submitted no later than three months after completion of the visit. The report should clearly indicate the work done in terms of the original proposal in the application and should be countersigned by the Head of the host laboratory.
Acknowledgment of receipt of the Fellowship should be made in any publication(s) that arise(s) as a result of the visit.
Provide the following information in the IUBMB Mid-Career Research Fellowships.
- A research proposal concisely indicating:
- the nature of the project and the work to be performed
- the time frame for execution of the work.
- Explanation of why it is necessary to travel to a particular laboratory to conduct the experiments rather than to perform them in the applicant’s own laboratory or simply to ship the materials.
A comprehensive budgetindicating all costs and all other sources of support, indicating whether they are already awarded or applied for. Documentation should include a quote provided by a travel agent and be based on the costs of the cheapest flight available. A complete curriculum vitae of the applicant listing all publications.
A letter of acceptancefrom the Head of the host institute, countersigned by the leader of the group in which the applicant will work, stating that the institute will host the applicant. This letter should also give an indication of the living expenses for the duration of the visit and what contribution, if any, the host institution will make towards these costs
A list of publicationsby the direct host during the past five years.
A letter of recommendationfrom the Head of the department of the applicant’s home institution indicating the reasons why the Fellowship would be beneficial. This letter should also list all other Fellowships previously received by the applicant, especially for travel abroad to attend meetings or to study at another institution.
Applications will be sent to the Chair of the Committee for Fellowships by filling out the application form and will be reviewed by the Members of the IUBMB Fellowships Committee.
Past IUBMB Mid-Career Research Fellowships Awardees 2022 – 2016