Guidelines for IUBMB Advanced Schools
IUBMB has established the concept of promoting and sponsoring Advanced Schools in Asia, Africa, and Central/South America. Advanced training of Ph.D. students and junior postdocs in the field of biochemistry, molecular biology, and cell biology is at the basis of a sustained scientific development in these areas. Europe has realized such a goal with the institution of the Spetses Schools, an already classical Institution that has contributed to a high degree to the scientific development of basic biological sciences in Europe. The goal of this project is to offer similar opportunities to junior scientists working outside Europe, but in all geographical regions of the world.
Organizers must complete the appropriate IUBMB Application Form (see below). They should consider gender as well as science and society issues in establishing programs. They are also encouraged to apply to other funding organizations that support similar activities. Finally, they are obliged to use the IUBMB logo and quote the activity as an “IUBMB Advanced School” in all printed and electronic materials. In addition, a table is required to display IUBMB flyers along with two banners that will be sent to the organizer or venue.
Responsible organizer(s) should provide the following details in the application:
- Title, dates and location.
- Attendance. The Advanced School should have 50-60 participants. The ratio of junior scientists to lecturers should be approximately 4:1.
- Program. An adequate program (lectures, training sessions, open discussions) should be developed for a period of 5-7 working days. Social activities should be planned as well.
- Budget. The organizer(s) should provide a detailed budget in US$. IUBMB contribution is up to a maximum of US$ 20,000.
- The main organizer must submit a CV of maximal 2 pages
The deadlines for receipt of applications for the following calendar year is April 1st and for invited revised applications, October 1st.
A report should be submitted no later than 3 months after the the conclusion of the Advanced School which includes:
- the detailed program
- a list (including nationality and gender) of participants and lecturer
- the detailed budget.
Additionally, the organizers must send out a questionnaire to all participants at the end of the meeting provided by the Secretariat.
Application and Report Forms
IUBMB Advanced Schools – Application Form