Guidelines for the Wood-Whelan Research Fellowships
The Wood-Whelan Research Fellowships are designed to support young biochemists and molecular biologists, from countries that are full or associate members of IUBMB who need to travel to other laboratories in the IUBMB region for the purpose of carrying out experiments that require special techniques or for other forms of scientific collaboration or advanced training.
Conditions of Fellowships
The fellowships will be awarded for travel lasting 1 – 4 months. A fellowship is intended to cover travel and incidental costs, as well as living expenses, to a maximum of $ 4,000. Travel costs will provide for the cheapest airfare available; incidental expenses directly related to the travel, local bus fares to and from airport; and a hotel charge for one night at airport if well substantiated. The costs do not cover insurance or research expenses at the laboratory to be visited. Travel should commence within four months of the award being made.
Applicants for fellowships are required to make a full declaration to IUBMB of all other support received in connection with the proposed visit. A fellowship cannot be used to supplement scientific visits otherwise fully covered. Fellowships will not be awarded to attend courses, symposia, meetings or congresses. Applicants must be residents of countries that are members of IUBMB and should generally be graduate students or young researchers under the age of 35. Retrospective applications will not be considered. Applications from individuals who have received a Wood-Whelan Fellowship previously are discouraged.
The following four documents (1-4) should be provided. The original application (Documents 1 and 2, see below), written in English, should be sent by the applicant, by e-mail (prepared as PDF files that can be read by Acrobat reader), to the Chairman of the Committee. In addition, Documents 3 and 4 (see below) should be sent by e-mail directly, by the head of the receiving institute (3) and by the head of the applicant’s institute (4) respectively, to the Chairman of the Committee.
- Details of the research proposal of about two A4-sized pages indicating clearly:
- the nature of the project and the type of experiments to be carried out;
- why it is necessary to travel to a particular laboratory to conduct the experiments rather than to perform them in the applicant’s own laboratory or simply to ship the materials;
- why the project will require the particular time period requested;
- documentation about the cost of the proposed travel and any incidental expenses. An estimate of the travel costs should be provided by a travel agent and be based on the costs of the cheapest flight available. The type of flight (e.g. apex, Super-Apex, student fare) should be stated.
- a comprehensive budget should be provided, indicating all other sources of support, whether awarded or applied for
- A short curriculum vitae of the applicant with a list of publications.
- A letter of acceptance from the head of the receiving institute countersigned by the leader of the group in which the applicant will work, stating that the institute will receive the applicant. A list of papers published by the group leader during the past five years should be provided. This letter should give an indication of the living expenses for the period, if the Wood-Whelan fellowship is expected to provide funds towards these costs, and should also indicate what the receiving institute’s contribution will be towards these costs.
- A letter of recommendation from the head of the department of the applicant’s institution indicating the reasons why the fellowship would be beneficial. This letter should also list all other fellowships previously received by the applicant, especially for travel abroad to attend meetings or to study at another institution.
All documents (1 to 4) should be sent as e-mail attachments (word or pdf), so that they can easily be forwarded by the Chairman to the other Committee members for evaluation.
The deadlines for receipt of applications are 1st April (for travel to the host laboratory in July – December of the same year) and 1st October (for travel to the host laboratory in January – June of the following year). Late applications will not be considered.
No later than three months after the visit, a brief report should be sent to Dr. Janet Macaulay (Chair of the Committee on Wood-Whelan Research Fellowships) detailing the length of stay, results achieved or expected, and any publication that may result. Acknowledgement of receipt of the Fellowship should be made in any publication(s) that arise(s) as a result of the visit.
Addresses of Members of the Wood-Whelan Research Fellowships Committee
Dr. Janet Macaulay, Chair, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Biomedical Sciences, Monash University, Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Phone: +61 3 9905 3730
Dr. Ilona Concha, Institute of Biochemistry and Microbiology, Faculty of Science, Universidad Austral de Chile, Valdivia, CHILE
Dr. Khalid Fares, University Cadi Ayyad, Faculty of Sciences, Semlalia, B.P. 2390, 40000 Marrakech, MOROCCO
Dr. J. R. Sotelo, Department of Proteins & Nucleic Acids, Instituto de Investigaciones Biologícas Clemente Estable, Av. Italia 3318, C.P. 11600, Montevideo, URUGUAY