GUIDELINES FOR IUBMB FOCUSED MEETINGS
- Focused Meetings should cover “cutting edge science” of clear relevance to Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, last from three to five days, and normally have 100 to 300 participants. IUBMB’s financial contribution to each Focused Meeting ranges typically between US$ 30,000 and US$ 60,000.
- Financial support is provided on the understanding that the IUBMB is the major sponsor of the Focused Meeting and that the sponsorship is advertised clearly and extensively. Moreover, the organizers are required to use the IUBMB logo (which can be downloaded from the IUBMB web-site) and acknowledge the IUBMB sponsorship on any publication related to the Focused Meeting.
- IUBMB encourages Focused Meetings on a worldwide basis, giving special attention to geographical areas where the biochemists and molecular biologists are in need of support. For Focused Meetings planned in Europe applicants should consider taking advantage of the fact that IUBMB offers the use of the “IUBMB/Brian Clark Lecture Hall” in Spetses Island, Greece for the organization of Focused Meetings, Advanced Schools, etc. of up to 100 participants. Please contact the IUBMB Chair of the Committee on Congresses and Focused Meetings, Dr. Efstathios Gonos (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further details.
- Attendance at Focused Meetings must be open to scientists of all nationalities, although the total number may, of course, be limited by the Organizing Committee. A further essential condition of IUBMB sponsorship is that the organizers of a Focused Meeting observe the appropriate ICSU resolutions, in particular those in Appendix V and VI of the ICSU leaflet on “The Free Circulation of Scientists”. A copy of this document may be obtained from the ICSU Secretariat (51 Bd. de Montmorency, 75016 Paris, France).
- Organizers should consider the possibility of editing a Special Issue of IUBMB Life in conjunction with their Focused Meeting. They may act as the Guest Editor themselves or they may appoint a lecturer of the Focused Meeting. Special Issues consist typically of 5-15 peer-reviewed articles to be selected by the Guest Editor together with one of the Editors-in-Chief of the Journal who will have them peer- reviewed via Manuscript Central. The final decision regarding acceptance of all submitted articles is at the discretion of the IUBMB Life Organizers who will edit a Special Issue will receive a bonus of US$ 10,000. For additional information kindly contact the IUBMB Chair of the Committee on Congresses and Focused Meetings, Dr. Efstathios Gonos (email@example.com) and visit the IUBMB Life website (http://iubmb.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/hub/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1521-6551/).
- For larger Focused Meetings, the possibility of holding a Young Scientists Program in advance of the Focused Meeting could be considered, for which additional funding would be available.
- Organizers must complete the appropriate IUBMB Application Form (see below) and include a letter of support from the relevant Adhering Body or Associate Adhering Body (a list with contact information is available on the website iubmb.org). They should consider gender as well as science and society issues in establishing scientific programs. Finally, they are obliged to use the IUBMB logo and quote the activity as an “IUBMB Focused Meeting” in all printed and electronic materials.
Responsible organizer(s) should provide the following details in the application:
- Title, dates and location. The organizer(s) should be resident in, and the Focused Meeting should take place in a country with an IUBMB Adhering Body or Associate Adhering Body. The dates of the Focused Meeting should not overlap with other IUBMB events and should not take place within three months of the triennial IUBMB Congress.
- Focused Meetings should normally have 100-300 participants. Particular attention should be paid to gender and geographical balance as well as participation of young scientists (thesis Ph.D. students and post-doctoral fellows).
- Scientific program. A diverse program (including lectures, open discussions, poster sessions) should be developed for a period of 3-5 working days. Limited social activities may be planned as well.
- Letter of support. A letter of support from the Adhering Body or Associate Adhering Body must be included with the application.
- The organizer(s) should provide a detailed budget in US$. IUBMB’s contribution will be to a maximum of US$ 60,000.
- The main organizer must submit a CV of up to, but not exceeding 3 pages.
The application deadline for Focused Meetings to take place in the following calendar year is June 1st.
A report (the form for which can be downloaded from the IUBMB website) should be sent to the IUBMB Chair of the Committee on Congresses and Focused Meetings and to the Treasurer no later than three months after the conclusion of the Focused Meeting. The report should include: a) the detailed scientific program, b) a list (including nationality and gender) of participants and lecturers & c) the detailed budget.
Applications should be sent to the IUBMB Chair of the Committee on Congresses and Focused Meetings:
Dr. Efstathios S. Gonos
National Hellenic Research Foundation
Institute of Biology, Medicinal Chemistry and Biotechnology