Terms of Reference of the Committee on Education
The Committee on Education shall:
- Be a Standing Committee chaired by a member of the Executive Committee.
- Consist of ten other members that shall include two representatives of each of the Committees on Education of FAOBMB, FASBMB, FEBS and PABMB. Their period of service shall be in accordance with By-Law 12.
- Include the Editor-in-Chief of Biochemical Education as an ex-officio member.
- Be responsible to the Executive Committee for all matters concerning the education of biochemists and molecular biologists and the teaching of biochemistry and molecular biology around the world, and especially in areas where biochemistry and molecular biology are less developed that are members of the Union.
- Acquaint itself with all modern methods and technologies of instruction and dissemination of knowledge and act as a source of advice on these matters.
- Act to distribute grants in support of educational activities and especially in areas where biochemistry and molecular biology are less developed that are members of the Union, according to guidelines that are approved by the Executive Committee. Applications are evaluated and voted on by the Committee as a whole. The funds available to the Committee for these purposes shall be spent according to Guidelines approved by the Treasurer, grantees being accountable to the Treasurer for the expenditure of fund and to the Committee in the matter of rendering a report on the activity under support.
- Seek to augment the budget provided to it by making proposals to ICSU through the Member for ICSU and other organizations that support educational activities, and seek help in kind from publishers etc.
- Serve as the management committee for the journal Biochemical Education which has as its purpose the dissemination of information concerning all aspects of the education of biochemists and molecular biologists and the teaching of biochemistry and molecular biology around the world.
- Undertake to provide copy for that journal based on the opinion of, or experience in teaching innovations undertaken by, its members and seek to promote sales of biochemical education.
- Make the educational activities of the Union known to the Regional Organizations and to the appropriate Committees of ICSU and the BioUnions of ICSU.
- Promote the holding of discussions and exhibitions on educational subjects at Congresses of the Union and those of the Regional or Associated Organizations and shall seek joint-sponsorship and matching funds from these Organizations for activities organized within their regions.
- Arrange and/or sponsor discussions, courses, workshops or other educational activities appropriate for the education of biochemists and molecular biologists and especially in areas where biochemistry and molecular biology are less developed that are members of the Union.
- Promote the flow of current textbooks and other appropriate scientific literature to deserving departments or institutions, especially in developing countries that are members of the Union.
- Ensure that the ICSU recommendations on free circulation of scientists are adhered to in all activities arranged and/or sponsored by it.
- Provide advice and support to the Educational Committees of Regional and Associated Organizations and other members of the Union as may be required.
- Provide advice and assistance as may be required in the Young Scientists Program at Congresses and in the selection of the Travel Fellows.
- Handle all financial transactions related to sponsorship of activities through the Treasurer of the Union.
- Meet when the opportunity presents itself such as at scientific meetings and maintain contact on a regular basis.
- Maintain contact with other relevant Committees of the Union.
- Keep records of all of its meetings, the activities it arranges and /or sponsors and reports requested on all such activities.
- Advertise its activities and policies through the IUBMB website and publications of the Union.
- Ensure that the Union's logo is used on all publications related to the activities it sponsors.
EC Meeting SFO
13-15 May 1999